Tuesday 7 January 2014

A Few Of My Favourite Things

Hello everyone! So this is my first post, something I always struggle with when starting a new blog.
However I've decided for this one I'm going to start by posting a few of my favourite beauty products, which are really just things I use on a day to day basis.

Urban Decay de-slick make up setting spray


This has been a miracle worker. I love it, and my makeup routine would be wasted without it. In 2012 I made the decision to quit smoking. I was very unwell at the time and the habit was exacerbating the problem. A few side effects came from quitting smoking - things you are never told about when you actually do. In the long run these are minor inconveniences compared to what can actually come from smoking, but nonetheless I was unprepared. My skin became quite oily. Whilst it's nowhere near as bad now as it was at first I still find my makeup can slide a bit if I don't use this. It is what is says on the packaging an oil control make up setting spray, and all you need to do with it is apply your makeup and spray. I can now go a full day without having to reapply my makeup. I may have to do a dab of powder here and there but it's nowhere near the full applications I was having to do before I found this! 


No 7 Beautifully Matte Make Up Base



Essentially all this product is, is a primer that mattifies the skin. It would not be my number one choice for giving your skin a smooth, flawless look however I am a fan of the matte look. 


No 7 Beautifully Matte Foundation


I'm really fussy when it comes to foundations. Like everything else in my makeup collection it has to be matte. I also prefer liquid foundations. This ticks both boxes. When I bought this I was "foundation match made" by the No 7 lady. Just as I thought I was the palest possible shade, and this one is called "calico". I do think this foundation has yellow undertones to it, which is my only real issue with it. All that really means is you just have to make sure you blend it really well. I've found so far it's best applied with a brush, however some time soon I'd like to try one of those egg shaped sponges.

Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream


Okay, so this isn't matte. BB creams were something I was really skeptical of until I tried one for myself, and I'm really glad I did. This particular BB cream is made for oily skin and has SPF 15 in it so you get bonus sun protection too (even if it isn't enough for someone as pale as me!). The reason I think BB creams are so great is because they are incredibly light - not just in colour but the feel too. There is nothing worse on a hot day than foundation in my opinion, it makes me feel grubby and I just want to take it off as soon as it's on. BB cream is my number one summer go to product. Paired with a light layer of loose powder to set it and a little blush, it gives a lovely natural look.

Urban Decay Naked Flushed


This product has only recently become a favourite of mine and was only discovered in a search for the perfect contouring kit. As someone who lurks beauty blogs and instagram pages on a regular basis I have always wanted to try the Urban Decay naked palettes. After failing to find the "Sleek" contouring kit anywhere (it was sold out every time I went to Superdrug) I found myself looking around the Urban Decay section of Debenhams, and while this palette is £20 compared to £9.99 for the Sleek one it is worth every penny. I am only learning to contour at the moment so I haven't got the art of it down as well as others but even when I do use it, it doesn't look bad. The only downside to this is the blush is super pigmented, so there leaves little room to build up the right colour.

Benefit Brow Zings Brow Shaping Kit


I like nice, sculpted eyebrows and back in 2013 when I decided to bleach my hair I found my Rimmel eyebrow pencil was far too dark to suit the look. So I read a few reviews online of different eyebrow kits and decided to go for this one. I tend to use this product when I have a little more spare time in the morning as using a pencil is just much more convenient for quick eyebrows. This product comes in light, medium and dark and as I had bleach blonde hair at the time I obviously bought the light. Though my hair is now a dark brown I still use this as despite what the shade says it's definitely still dark enough to use. The left side is a wax which you apply using the angled brush the kit comes with, this shapes and defines your eyebrows. The right side is a powder. The booklet calls this a setting powder but I like to apply this first to add colour to my eyebrows and fill out the gaps, then use the wax. This set comes with tweezers but I don't really use them.

Soap and Glory Supercat Liquid Eyeliner Pen


 For as long as I can get my hands on this eyeliner I will never use another one. It is perfect. I am a huge fan of Soap and Glory. The packaging is cute, the names are clever and a majority of the products do exactly what they claim to. My day to day eyeliner has pretty much always been the retro flicks and I've tried a lot of products along the way but nothing has made the look easier to achieve than this. The applicator looks like a felt tip pen which is probably why it's so easy to use and get the exact look you're aiming for. 

Maybelline Great Lash Mascara


This product is proof that you don't have to spend your entire months wages to own a decent mascara. It's priced at a very reasonable £4.99 in Boots and comes in three shades: brown, black and very black. Whenever I buy a mascara I choose the darkest shade possible so it goes without saying I own very black. I like this as you don't have to use a lot to give the effect of long, thick eyelashes. 

And that is all I have for you today! There is one of other product that is an essential to my makeup bag and that is lipstick, but I own so many that it'll be a post all of its own! 
I hope you enjoyed reading this, and if you have any questions about any of the products just ask!




No comments:

Post a Comment