Friday 24 January 2014

The Shard/Hard Rock Cafe London

Last night I got taken to The Shard and the Hard Rock Cafe as a going away surprise from my best friend!



The Shard is is an 87 storey building in London, not far from the River Thames, the Gherkin and the Tower of London. The first viewing platform is on the 69th floor, and the second is on the 72nd which is also outdoors (and 800 feet in the air!). You're taken up in elevators that go from the ground floor to the 33rd floor in what feels like about twenty seconds, then into another elevator that does the same. My ears popped badly on the way down!


This was taken on the 69th floor, and the views were amazing. Out of all of the places I've been, London is hands down my favourite. In this picture you can see in the distance Canary Wharf, you can also see Tower Bridge (not London Bridge which a lot of people don't seem to know!) and the building that looks as though it's at an angle just by Tower Bridge is City Hall. 




Next up was the Hard Rock Cafe, somewhere I've always wanted to go but never quite gotten around to. I had at another time read reviews of it online, and they were very mixed but personally I thought it was great!


The waiting time was 45 minutes to an hour, but we were told we could get a drink at the bar while we waited so that's what we did.

This was Eric Clapton's guitar and Toni Iommi's (Black Sabbath) jacket. 

 I'm not completely sure how long we waited, but I don't think it was an hour at all. We were seated in a booth near the back of the restaurant right next to a jacket that belonged to Keith Richards (Rolling Stones)


There was a lot more near us but I didn't want to keep taking pictures while people were eating.

The wait staff were brilliant, and I think they wanted to hug me and Matt when we requested Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin to be played! We ordered Nachos for starters along with a Southern Rock cocktail (with a free glass!) and I ordered Ribs for mains - thinking it'd only be a half rack, nope, full rack! Goes without saying I didn't finish my meal.

Pink cocktail!

Over all it was a great way to say goodbye to my best friend and to my time in England for this year. Both of these are great places to experience, whether you've lived in London all of your life like me, or if you're just visiting. While I can't speak for the prices at The Shard, the Hard Rock Cafe is quite pricey but if you're looking for great service, great music and over all a great experience I'd say just go for it. After all, how often do you get to go to a restaurant and listen to Bruce Springsteen?  


No comments:

Post a Comment